MIllennium vs Verrado Basketball Preview

James Morgan, Writer

The 1-6 Millennium Tigers boy basketball team will be hosting the 1-8 Verrado Vipers. Both teams are looking forward to a better rest of the season as both teams are having an underperforming start to the season. Millennium, coming off of a 59-42 loss against the Mesa jackrabbits was looking forward to continue the momentum of the only win on the season against La Joya so far. The Vipers are also coming off a loss to a Centennial team that has not been too hot only starting the season 5-5 so far. Both teams are trying to gain some confidence before section play officially starts.

Duron Holmes is listed as inactive for tonight’s game as well as Eric Fahy. Fahy last week took a blow to the head and suffered a deep cut under his eye now which he will be inactive. Important to note as well that both Fahy and Holmes lead the team in scoring with 10 and 12 points per game respectively.

In other news, after tonight, the tigers will have 2 transfers come off the inactive list in Zach Foster and Isaiah Ford. Zach, who won the 3 point preseason contest, will be looking forward to be a great spot up shooter for the team when he comes and Isaiah is looking forward to leading the team as another guard will be active.

Verrado is ranked #206 in Arizona while MIllennium is ranked #129. The matchup tonight will be close ad come down to the wire. What is going to matter in this game will be the 4th quarter. Millennium has been 18 ppg in the 4th while Verrado is only at 10. Millennium is also ahead of Verrado when it comes to overall PPG. Millennium is at 54 and Verrado is at 50. The tigers will be looking for different scorers tonight as well as Holmes and Fahy will be out.

Freshman Justus Jackson I believe will be the difference maker in tonight’s game. He leads the team in assists per game with 2.5 although he is only shooting 31% on the season if he gets to the line he will be automatic. He is shooting 100% from the charity stripe and is currently 10-10 at the line.

Final score prediction will be Tigers-58 Verrado-54. Like I said before the game will be coming down to the wire and it will be close but the play of the senior players such as James McCoy and Harrison Griffin will make the difference tonight and the tigers will get the train rolling going into section play.