Desert Edge vs Millennium

James Morgan, Writer

Last night the Millennium Tigers took down Desert Edge in convincing fashion with a score of 79-45. Millennium demonstrated skill down low even without the help of absent big Duron Holmes. A combination of Sophomore Michael Batchelor and Coleman Fields came together to score 40 points and both of them shot a combined 90% from the charity stripe going 9/10.

What impressed me most about last night was how well Harrison Griffin and Eric Ryals down lose played so well against 6´7 Peter Ndoma. Although nobody is really impressed by this win having Desert Edge at a record of 1-8, Millennium has gained some momentum in going to Las Vegas to play in the Nike Invitational. Last nights game Coach Amundsen had this to say about the trip. ¨ I don’t care if we go 0-8 or 6-2 in the tournament, I really don’t. This is a great bonding moment for the team. They are gonna have a chance to really get close with each other and build better bonds with each other.¨

Another thing that I was impressed by was the ability for this line up to have different guys in there making plays in and out recently. The team on a 2 game win streak (winning the last ¾) really reminds me of the patriots almost. Right now they are getting to a point where the staff could put almost any player in there and they can have a good chance at success. Players like Coleman Fields and Marquez Givens didn’t even play varsity to start the season. Now they are getting solid minutes against teams that are leading into more section play eventually.

Young kids are slowly building up the program, and in a few years Millennium could possibly even be a contender. It is a pretty crazy thing to think about at this moment being that the teams last winning season was 2014 where they struggled to go 11-10. The combination of the great coaching staff lead my Ty Amundsen and the young talent that shows they can make plays consistently such as Justus Jackson, Duron Holmes, Coleman Fields, Michael Batchelor, Jalen Early, Jose Cortes, and DJ Storey. All of these players are all underclassmen and 6 of them have started a game this early into the season. These players are getting great coaching as well as getting advice and leadership from the seniors in the locker room. Eric Fahy, Harrison Griffin, Seth Ryals. All of these players are great leaders for the young kids as the whole team is transitioning into a different kind of offense. The Tigers will play their first game back on the 9th which is the tuesday when we get off of break they will be taking on Copper Canyon at Millennium. The preview of the game will be up before the end of our break. I will see you guys next year Tigers.

Desert Edge vs Millennium