Volleyball Season Preview

Connor Fernandez, Staff

Girl’s Volleyball ready for another big season

The past three seasons, the Lady Tigers have had three out of five of the school’s best regular seasons under Coach Julie Vastine- winning at least 30+ games and have made the playoffs all three years. Last year, following a second place finish in the 2015 State Playoffs, the Girls had a final record of 34-9 and lost in the 6A State Quarterfinals to Corona Del Sol.

A new season reassures a simple approach. “Give 110% all of the time, play for the team and pay attention to details.” Coach Vastine said. She says that there is plenty of great talent on the team and keeping the girls informed of that and having them commit to playing for each other and not themselves can really improve the team’s trust and chemistry together.

Rolling into the 2017 season, the girls are looking forward to getting to the playoffs again. They begin their season on the road facing off the Mesa High School Jackrabbits. The Lady Tiger’s went undefeated in three matchups against Mesa last season, including a win in the first round of the state playoffs against the Jackrabbits. Mesa went 26-15 last season, 11-1 in section, and lost in the first round of playoffs to Millennium.

The first home game for the Lady Tigers’ is August 31 against the Xavier College Prep Gators. Freshmen girls start at 4pm, JV girls start at 5pm and the Varsity girls start at 6pm. In the past, when the MHS student section can be in play, the Girls’ performance rises. “Having a student section is who is vocal is huge. We enjoy playing for a crowd.  It adds more energy to the floor to hear the cheering after a good hit or block.  It provides a good swing of momentum and gets into the opposing team’s head, which fires us up even more.” Coach Vastine said. The team is rolling in the season at full force this season.

Volleyball Season Preview