Passing On Some Senior Wisdom

Britt Campbell, Journalist

As seniors prepare to graduate on May 23rd, iTiger asked a few of them if they have any advice they’d like to pass on to younger students here at Millennium.

Ian Dupre says to “actually listen to people giving advice.” He notes that younger students struggle to listen to advice, especially that of teachers and parents. He remembers that he refused to listen when he was younger, and acted unwisely as a result.

Victoria Colwell explains that “if the biggest thing that bonds you to someone is being angry at people, that’s not a good sign.” She goes into more detail, saying that your bond with someone should not be founded on using them to validate your anger. She advises anyone who finds themselves in that kind of friendship not to abandon it unless they explicitly hurt you. However, she notes, “don’t trust them.”

“Don’t be afraid to get involved in stuff,” Valerie Arnold encourages. “Don’t sit in the back being shy. Get out of your comfort zone and try new things.”

Jacob Ellison, slightly modifying a quote from The Pursuit of Happyness, says, “Don’t ever let someone tell you that you can’t do something. Not anyone. You got a dream, you gotta protect it. When people can’t do something themselves, they’re gonna tell you that you can’t do it. You want something, go get it. Period.” Ellison adds that “the intended use of this quote is not to fuel or justify your stubborn decisions about menial matters, but to motivate you in the absolute toughest of circumstances.”

“If you have a problem, don’t just run from it,” states Brennen Worley. He believes that running away doesn’t teach anyone anything except how to be a coward.

Fletcher Dircks states, “To be successful, try your best.” And, in contradiction with what is commonly accepted, Fletcher also says, “And no matter how many times people say grades don’t matter, they do. So don’t mess them up.”

Taking the final word will be myself, and my advice is simple. Don’t be afraid of who you are and who you may become. Who you are now is not the same person you’ll be in a year–or a month, or a week. You’re going to change. Embrace it. If you know who you’re meant to be, then become that person. Don’t worry about what others think–if they aren’t going to stand by your side, then don’t stand by theirs. Don’t, of course, take this as encouragement to be reckless and uncivil to others. Become a better person–just don’t let others place barriers on that development. 

Even if, as Dupre suggests, most students don’t like to listen to advice–here it is. Take it or leave it–just remember that seniors usually know what they’re talking about by now.

Inevitably, those who don’t listen to advice will learn from their own mistakes. That is just how life functions.

If you’re lucky, you’ll be able to pass on the wisdom you obtained as a senior.

Passing On Some Senior Wisdom