Remembering the Stars of 2016

Britt Campbell, Journalist

2016 has seen the loss of too many great men and women. The world’s response has been one of devastation, and the impact of these wonderful people will always be felt. Here are just a few of the great lives we lost this year.

Carrie Fisher – December 27th

I don’t want my life to imitate art, I want my life to be art.

Just when we thought 2016 had ended its relentless vendetta against our favorite celebrities, Carrie Fisher died just days before the new year. Carrie Fisher was a prominent and inspiring actress, best known for her role as Princess Leia in the Star Wars movie franchise. She is said to be a woman who said exactly what she was thinking the moment she thought it, while simultaneously being witty and insightful. She was a hero, and fought to contradict the “princess” stereotype. Many hearts were broken over the loss of Carrie–including that of Carrie’s mother, Debbie Reynolds, who died the day after her daughter. She will now always be with “The Force.”

John Glenn – December 8th

You can’t relive your life.

John Glenn Jr., who died at age 95, lived his life to the fullest. He was an American aviator, engineer, astronaut, and U.S. Senator from Ohio. Glenn served four terms as Senator, but his greatest impact lies with NASA. One of the original seven Mercury astronauts, he was the first American to orbit the Earth in 1962 and a major part of proving America as a contender in the space race with the Soviet Union. He was an instant hero, and also the oldest human to go into space at age 77 on the space shuttle Discovery. He is revered in every category of his life, and will be remembered for his contribution to exploring space.

Gene Wilder – August 29th

If I can make my wife laugh, I know I’m on the right track.

Gene Wilder was an adored actor, comedian, and author. He’s performed in many movies, but his most famous role is as Willy Wonka in the 1971 adaptation of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. His portrayal of Wonka in the whimsical world of his Chocolate Factory was truly memorable for children and adults alike, and is still watched by families even today. He will continue to be admired for his “world of pure imagination.” He was famous for wacky and comedic roles, also starring in Young Frankenstein and Mel Brook’s Blazing Saddles. Wilder became a dedicated novelist, writing a memoir and several novels.

Muhammad Ali – June 3rd

He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.

Muhammad Ali was, by far, the best in the business. He leaves his legacy with some of the most famous moments in boxing history. Ali stood up for his beliefs every step of the way, inspiring others to do the same. His skill in the ring was unmatched, but so was his determination. When he refused to sign up for the draft for religious beliefs, he was stripped of all of his titles and arrested. In the face of it all, he stood up against the war in Vietnam, and never wavered in his position. He is admired by many people, despite often being someone with very controversial views. He will be remembered not only for his boxing abilities, but his resolution to stand for everything he believed in.

Prince – April 21st

Despite everything, no one can dictate who you are to other people.

Prince was an artist that attained mass fame in the 1980’s, but continues to be listened to even today. He was a seven time Grammy winner, and released more than fifteen albums during his career. Some of his most famous songs include “When Doves Cry”, “Kiss”, and “Let’s Go Crazy”. He was loved by all who met him, and his ex-girlfriend Carmen Electra says that there wasn’t a single beautiful woman that didn’t want to be with him. Those who knew him say he had a remarkable sense of humor. Prince was an artist who was suave and knew how to charm the ladies, but he wrote music that anyone could enjoy.

Alan Rickman – January 14th

Talent is an accident of genes – and a responsibility.

Alan Rickman will likely be known most famously for his role as Severus Snape in the Harry Potter movie series, but he also starred in Alice Through the Looking Glass, Die Hard, Love Actually, and more. He was a recognizable face for adults and children alike, even if it was for different reasons. Some say he was born to play the bitter Severus Snape, and the world knows it has lost a great actor. He was known for his wisdom and kindness according to those who knew him personally. For the rest of us, he will always be Professor Snape.

David Bowie – January 10th

I don’t know where I’m going from here, but I promise it won’t be boring.

David Bowie was one of the first we lost in 2016, and marked what some say was an indicator that 2016 would be a horrible year. David Bowie was an icon who is cited as inspiration for Nirvana, Lady Gaga, Duran Duran, Marilyn Manson, and many more. Bowie transcended fashion and music, writing and singing about being an outsider–an alien. His music was relatable for the outcast teens of his time as well as the ones of today. He released songs like “Space Oddity,” “Changes,” and “Moonage Dream” that topped charts in the UK and in the U.S. And, even as he aged, he continued to perform for his dedicated fans. Bowie’s legacy will not only be his unique style but his inspiring music, and he won’t soon be forgotten.

Every one of these great people have left their mark on the world, and now they will always live among the stars.

There aren’t enough words or time to rightfully eulogize all of the people that 2016 saw the loss of, but here are a few more of these important people:

• Florence Henderson; November 24th. Played Carol Brady on The Brady Bunch.
  • Arnold Palmer; September 25th. Skilled professional golfer.
  • Steven Hill; August 23rd. Played Adam Schiff on Law and Order.
  • Christina Grimmie; June 11th. Youtube-famous musician.
  • Bill Cunningham; June 25th. Known for his fashion and street photography.
  • Harper Lee; February 19th. Author of To Kill a Mockingbird.

Remembering the Stars of 2016