Rogue One: A Star Wars Review **Spoiler Warning**

Rogue One has given us a new hope for the upcoming Star Wars movie franchise as this masterpiece takes the movie industry by force, with it topping the box office for three weeks in a row and being the second top grossing movie of 2016. With having a budget of $200 million, it was bound to success as the visuals, story, acting, as well as bringing back the classic Star Wars feel propels the profit forward as it has already made a total of $809.1 million worldwide. This Star Wars Story is absolutely one of the best Star Wars movies of the franchise, and in my opinion, tops The Force Awakens. This, however doesn’t mean it doesn’t have any faults but the excitement and action tower over these minor imperfections.

Before we get into the the magnum opus that is Rogue One, let’s begin with the negatives. Right from the start, we are given a terrible opening theme. Rather than the classic Star Wars opening theme song, we are given a not-so-good opening in return. It almost feels like a fan-film set in the Star Wars universe and gives off some troubling vibes right from the start.  The music choice was not the best throughout the movie as well, but towards the final battles it excels in delivering intensity and brings you over to the edge of your seat. Following the opening, a multitude of planets and characters are introduced in quick succession, leaving the audience, including me, a die-hard Star Wars fan, confused and left wondering. Who are these people? Where are they? Why are they so significant? These were some questions left behind in the space-dust as the movie progressed at a quick rate. As well as introducing these characters in such a way, we have little characterization to go off throughout the movie, and leaves the final conclusion of the squad of Rogue One a little less impactful. And this movie was banking off of these impacts as having real weight to them. These were people trying to fight for the freedom of the entire galaxy and their deaths weren’t as emotional as they could have been.

However, having little characterization doesn’t mean these characters weren’t interesting. In fact, some of these characters are among the coolest to be introduced in the Star Wars movies. Although they didn’t receive a boat-load of characterization within the movie, this doesn’t stop them from having dynamic personalities, epic moments, and clever dialogue.  It also helps that the casting was on point, like getting Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen as Chirrut Imwe and Baze Malbus was an excellent choice for supporting characters. Upon having a vibrant cast of characters, the story was absolutely brilliant as well.

John Knoll and Gary Whitta, the writers of Rogue One, gave a brilliant twist to the demise of the Death Star in A New Hope. Instead of the Death Star having a small weakness that was built by mistake, it was actually part of a clever ruse created by a scientist working on the Death Star. By doing this we were given an “A-ha!” moment, which creates more sensibility for the audience. Aside from the clever twist, the story is very straight forward. An Imperial Scientist tricks the Empire and builds a weakness in the Death Star and his daughter, Jyn Erso, must join the rebellion and retrieve the Death Star plans to find this weakness. Although it’s a very straightforward story, this movie features some of the best Star Wars action we have seen as of yet. Intense and visually appealing space combat, brutal and sad character death, clever and witty action litter Rogue One, and it is amazing. The sound design as well was perfect, giving the audience immersive and gratifying fight scenes. Aside from the action, the creators of the movie utilize all of it’s resources such as repurposing cockpit footage from A New Hope and placing dozens of easter eggs.

Also placed in Rogue One, aside from the great action and the amazing characters, we are given something not seen in a Star Wars movie so far. A standalone Star Wars movie with a beginning and an end. Every other Star Wars film leaves the story ambiguous until the final conclusion of the third and last movie of the trilogy, but what we see here is a complete movie. And as it happens to be, it succeeds in being a stupendous movie.

Rogue One features a wide-variety of of clever casting, awesome Star Wars moments, a new take on the Star Wars story, and features a beginning-to-end to it. This Star Wars story is definitely one of the best Star Wars films so far that introduces a sense of mortality for the main characters, some of the best action we have seen in the franchise and provides us with plenty of laughs. Rogue One is a spectacle to behold among the movie franchise.

• Features

Was 2016 Really That Bad?

• Features

Remembering the Stars of 2016

• Showcase

Hot Shots

• Rogue One: A Star Wars Review **Spoiler Warning**

Features

New Extended Opportunity

Opinions & Reviews

Hamilton: The Rise Of A New Fascination

Entertainment

The Lineup Announced for Coachella 2017

Entertainment

Joanne: A new side of Gaga

Entertainment

The Arrival- Review

Showcase

Millennium Football 2016 Recap

Entertainment

68 Years vs. 108 Years