NFC Wild Card Games

On Saturday night, the Seattle Seahawks and Detroit Lions faced off at CenturyLink Field home of the Seahawks in a Wild Card matchup in hopes of advancing to the next round of the playoffs. The Detroit Lions came into Seattle with a regular season record of 9-7 against Seattle’s 10-5-1 record. The Lions had their franchise quarterback in Matthew Stafford facing off against Super Bowl 47 champion, Russell Wilson. The Detroit Lions were looking to snatch a win at CenturyLink Field even though the Seattle Seahawks had a 9-0 straight home game playoff record in wins.

The scoring didn’t come until the 2nd quarter off a two yard touchdown pass from Russell Wilson to Paul Richardson to go up 7-0 after the point after attempt was good. In the same quarter the Seahawks added three points to their lead after a forty three yard field goal was good from Seahawks kicker Steven Hauschka to put them up 10-0 with half time coming close. The Detroit Lions managed to get points on the board with a fifty one yard field goal from Matt Prater with twenty seconds left on the clock to cut the lead to a one possession game at 10-3.

As the second half began with the 3rd quarter, Detroit was first to score with a fifty three yard field goal to reduce the Seahawks lead to 10-6. There was no other score until the final quarter when Seattle added three points back to their lead with a twenty seven yard field goal making it a one possession game again at 13-6. The Seahawks again would put a score on the board with a four yard rushing touchdown from Thomas Rawls making it 19-3 since the point after attempt was missed. And Seattle would close the game with another score off a thirteen yard touchdown pass from Russell Wilson to Doug Baldwin making it 26-6 game.

The Seattle Seahawks posted a total of 387 total yards versus the Detroit Lions’ 231 total yards. The Seahawks also had a total possession of the football for 36:29 compared to the Lions’ 23:21. Russell Wilson had a 23/30 total pass completion rate and 224 yards thrown along with 2 TD’s and a total QBR of 119.3. Matthew Stafford’s night went different as he went with a 18/32 total pass completion rate with 205 yards thrown and 0 TD’s thrown and a QBR of 75.7. Thomas Rawls posted up for 161 yards rushed on 27 carries averaging 6.0 yards per carry and a rushing touchdown along with a 32 yard run. Doug Baldwin had a 104 yard receiving game on 11 receptions averaging 9.5 yards per catch and touchdown along with a 42 yard reception. Marvin Jones was Detroit’s leading receiver with 84 yards on 4 receptions averaging 20.3 yards per catch and having a 30 yard catch in the game. Both defense accounted for 3 sacks each in the game.

NFC Wild Card Games