4,000 Years of Uppity Women – Book Review

Aislinn Haselden, Creative Writer/Journalist

Since the beginning of time, women have stopped at nothing to express themselves in the best possible ways that they know how. They have discovered ways to live by their own terms by any means necessary, no matter what men told them. They have painted masterpieces, written poetry, dabbled in so-called magic, and wore (heaven-forbid) mens’ clothes.

But they didn’t stop there: they were warlords, queens, religious leaders, world travelers, botanists, beer brewers, sword fighters, pirates, and so much more. Everything that was said only men could do, these women did better.

The tales of these courageous women have been lost in time for decades, until one uppity woman by the name of Vicki Leon decided to research her fellow rule-breakers and write down their misadventures in one grand book of inspiration, tears, and triumph.

4,000 Years of Uppity Women is a magnificent and awe-inspiring read. A collection of books wrapped into one, readers are entrapped in the trials and tribulations of all the spirited women that Leon spent years researching.

As a result, without even realizing it, people gained knowledge on the ways of life in those time periods without having to sit through boring history lectures. This book taught people rich history of the time and entertained them with the remarkable feats of the women held down in overbearing patriarchal societies.

There were tales of many incredible women. One Japanese woman trained female assassins in the art of termination. They wielded throwing stars and other such weapons in order to complete their tasks and hand. These dangerous ninjas were called “Deadly Flowers”.

Another woman whom lived in Greece trained all her life for the Olympic Games and won countless medals, a feat which was thought impossible even to men at the time.

There was even a woman who helped cure people of sickness and plague with a special strip of tree bark taken from a place where she used to live. She helped cure hundreds and saved them from an untimely demise.

Not only were countless amazing stories of the “Deadly Flowers”, Olympic gold-medal winners, and plague-specialists told, but the writing was descriptive and intelligible enough to give readers a crystal-clear picture of the events transpiring in the text.

Leon was able to sum-up the lives of the uppity women with ease, and was able to brush upon complex details without diving in too deep and transforming the entertaining work into a history lesson droning on and on. Leon told just enough for readers to understand and steered clear of the confusion that would be sure to spout due to complexity being the very base of history.

Leon was able to paint a beautiful master piece of innovation and inspiration for young girls and women all over the world. Reading the tales of all the headstrong, tough women throughout the ages gives women and girls today a confidence in themselves.

If those women were able to accomplish such amazing feats of skill, intellect, and wisdom, why can’t women today do the same? In fact, they should be more readily able to due to the collapse of the patriarchal society of old. This book asserts that women should hold nothing back and be go-getters in achieving their dreams in life.

These thrilling tales all wound up into one spectacular book that is a great read for any person: young or old, male or female. The stories (which at times sound like tall-tales) are interesting and fun reads. You may find it difficult to tear your eyes away from the pages and put the book down. This book is truly a hard work to stop reading.

• Features

Was 2016 Really That Bad?

• Features

Remembering the Stars of 2016

• Showcase

Hot Shots

• 4,000 Years of Uppity Women – Book Review

Features

New Extended Opportunity

Opinions & Reviews

Hamilton: The Rise Of A New Fascination

Entertainment

The Lineup Announced for Coachella 2017

Entertainment

Rogue One: A Star Wars Review **Spoiler Warning**

Entertainment

Joanne: A new side of Gaga

Entertainment

The Arrival- Review

Showcase

Millennium Football 2016 Recap