Dutch Bros vs. Starbucks: Which Coffee is Superior?

Britt Campbell, Journalist, Coffee Enthusiast

It’s 7AM and you definitely don’t want to be awake right now. You’re on your way to school, but you know for a fact that you just won’t make it through the day without your daily dose of caffeine.

Within reasonable driving range of Millennium High School lies two coffee shops: Dutch Bros and Starbucks.

It’s the ultimate decision.

Do you go to Dutch Bros, whose sweet coffee and upbeat employee demeanor is sure to bring a smile to your face? Or do you go to Starbucks, whose coffee you’ve lived on for years and has the efficiency and experience that comes with age?

It’s a rivalry that every student living in Arizona has come into conflict with. Some may blatantly prefer Starbucks–a corporation whose presence has been established in Arizona for many, many years. Others love the hip new vibe of Dutch Bros, who arrived in the cactus state only recently.

The question is: which coffee shop is better? Here’s a comprehensive breakdown.

Let’s start with the price. Starbucks has a starting price that is roughly five cents less for a comparable drink of the smallest size at Dutch Bros. However, Dutch Bros dishes out much larger drinks; their smallest size is roughly the size of a venti (or medium) at Starbucks. Dutch Bros prices also don’t vary by the style of drink–Starbucks increases or decreases its pricing.

Put simply, you’re probably getting more coffee for your dollar from Dutch Bros.

Starbucks, however, has a significantly larger menu. They have a more diverse choice in drinks and offer seasonal drinks. Dutch Bros offers all the same drinks all year round with almost no variation.

Anyone who has been to both Starbucks and Dutch Bros will know that the settings of the coffee shops vastly differ. Dutch Bros boasts small shops with a lively outdoor scene. Starbucks, on the other hand, offers the true coffee shop experience. Starbucks is practically its own aesthetic.

By offering indoor seating, Starbucks has a significant advantage over Dutch Bros: it has free WiFi. Starbucks now has outlets in various places around their cafes that allow customers a quiet public work space.

But most people don’t go to Dutch Bros for a mellow place to hang out. Dutch Bros is lively in nature with loud music and very friendly baristas.

In fact, one might say that Dutch Bros baristas outmatch those of Starbucks. Dutch Bros employees are consistently positive and chatty, making purchasing their coffee an experience of its own. If you like fun service, Dutch Bros is the place to go.

Starbucks baristas, of course, are not bad–but do not compare to the distinctly high energy of Dutch Bros.

Let’s not forget the coffee.

Starbucks has long established itself as delicious, but it still has a vastly different taste than Dutch Bros. Starbucks coffee is known for its bitterness–Dutch Bros is much sweeter. In fact, some argue that Dutch Bros tastes less like actual coffee than Starbucks.

Starbucks, for many, is always a go-to favorite. But if you’re looking for a fresh new flavor, Dutch Bros is the place to go.

So which is better? Here’s the evidence; now you decide.

• Features

Was 2016 Really That Bad?

• Features

Remembering the Stars of 2016

• Showcase

Hot Shots

• Dutch Bros vs. Starbucks: Which Coffee is Superior?

Features

New Extended Opportunity

Opinions & Reviews

Hamilton: The Rise Of A New Fascination

Entertainment

The Lineup Announced for Coachella 2017

Entertainment

Rogue One: A Star Wars Review **Spoiler Warning**

Entertainment

Joanne: A new side of Gaga

Entertainment

The Arrival- Review

Showcase

Millennium Football 2016 Recap