Hamilton: The Rise Of A New Fascination

Alysa Alfaro

Whether you’re a Broadway and theater fanatic or have scrolled through any social media, you have surely heard of the newest Broadway creation, Hamilton: An American Musical, a show of history and made with the people making history today. If you have yet to understand why people are so hyped for a show on history, try listening to “The Battle of Yorktown” or “Non-Stop” it will leave you wanting more.

Hamilton had it’s first off-Broadway debut at Public Theater in February 2015. First starting as a short collection of songs for the musical written by Lin-Manuel Miranda. He took a leap of faith and, when invited to the White House for an “In The Heights” performance, he sang his first song for the future musical “Alexander Hamilton.” This show changed the face of classic Broadway into a more current time of music including rap and hip-hop. But why would so many people want to sit through two hours and plus worth of history?

It is more than just a show of a “Ten Dollar Founding Father,” it makes them more human than what we’re used to. Teens and even adults view our old political representatives for doing one thing and not understanding they had a life and some sort of personal story to themselves, giving life to people of the past and creating relatable personalities for everyone to connect to.

The songs also allow us to relate to. The song “Wait for it” gives the impression that it is okay to take your time and make history, that it is alright to chase for what will benefit you most. “Helpless” shows how love is something precious and will make you feel ways you never thought and that it is spontaneous and true, even if only for a moment.

To some people that attend the play they do not see it with the same passion since most of the original cast has left. Believing that it does not hold the same emotion and originality as before. It is sad that the original cast had to go but they need to push forward and with the new cast, the show is still as incredible as ever.

Some historians believe it does not show the full side of each historical figure. Yes, it does portray some of the popular slave owners, like Thomas Jefferson, but does not show how even Alexander Hamilton and The Schuyler Family also had slaves of their own.

Another major change of the history, is some of the facts are twisted in it. Originally Angelica Schuyler was married before meeting Hamilton. This would have removed the subtle love triangle between Angelica, Hamilton, and Eliza. The also give more remorse to the characters then there was, such as Aaron Burr. Truth is he was proud to have killed and shot Hamilton, instead of having heart wrenching regret for killing him.
However, it is most likely for the bets that the path strayed slightly from history, or maybe it would not have been as good. The life of Alexander Hamilton will live on in the amazing performance. It is only a matter of time before everyone remembers the show and the people that created and morphed Alexander Hamilton and the history that follows it.

• Features

Was 2016 Really That Bad?

• Features

Remembering the Stars of 2016

• Showcase

Hot Shots

• Hamilton: The Rise Of A New Fascination

Features

New Extended Opportunity

Entertainment

The Lineup Announced for Coachella 2017

Entertainment

Rogue One: A Star Wars Review **Spoiler Warning**

Entertainment

Joanne: A new side of Gaga

Entertainment

The Arrival- Review

Showcase

Millennium Football 2016 Recap

Entertainment

68 Years vs. 108 Years

Hamilton: The Rise Of A New Fascination