New Extended Opportunity

Aislinn Haselden

Extended opportunity time is different for each Millennium High School pupil. Some students use the free time to look at their Snapchat or Twitter. Others hang out in the classroom and talk with their friends, while only a few actually use the time to work on homework, get help in classes, and prepare for upcoming quizzes and tests. Walking into Advisory, you can tell just how many kids are slacking off then using the time to their full advantage. Teachers and administration have caught on to the students lacking productivity during the time they are given to work, and have decided to change extended opportunity by incorporating mini-courses into this time. Students have signed up for a class that caught their interest and will be expected to report to that class starting January 12, 2017 during extended opportunity.

The courses that were available for students to join ranged from music classes to political cartoon analysis. Star Mapping and Constellations, Animals Welfare, Badminton, and The History of Music are just four out of sixty classes that students could attend. Some of these extended opportunity “mini classes” are additions to regular period classes taken on normal, non-late start days. Spanish, Algebra l and ll, World History, and English are few examples of these classes. By integrating these classes into extended opportunity, it could help kids who have trouble in these subjects to practice and grow better at these skills. Most students did not seem to be going in for help anyway, preferring to lounge around in Advisory and talk with friends. Teachers hope that these new courses will fix that problem.

This new extended opportunity schedule will give students a chance to learn about something they truly enjoy and provide a break from the stress of other, pressuring classes. But, whenever there is change, with anything in this world, there are sure to be those who will protest against it. Some students have voiced complaints about the fate of extended opportunity’s time. They wanted the time that it issues to work on homework or projects for classes that assigned a huge workload. Their complaints are well founded, since adding an extra class may actually add stress and take time away from finishing other, more important assignments.

The true nature of the new extended opportunity will remain hidden and shrouded in doubt until the following week where students will experience it for themselves for the first time. All that is left to do is wait and see how students like the new schedules, and if the new classes really keep them working and mentally active as the teachers hope they will.

• Features

Was 2016 Really That Bad?

• Features

Remembering the Stars of 2016

• Showcase

Hot Shots

• New Extended Opportunity

Opinions & Reviews

Hamilton: The Rise Of A New Fascination

• New Extended Opportunity

Entertainment

The Lineup Announced for Coachella 2017

• New Extended Opportunity

Entertainment

Rogue One: A Star Wars Review **Spoiler Warning**

• New Extended Opportunity

Entertainment

Joanne: A new side of Gaga

• New Extended Opportunity

Entertainment

The Arrival- Review

• New Extended Opportunity

Showcase

Millennium Football 2016 Recap

• New Extended Opportunity

Entertainment

68 Years vs. 108 Years

New Extended Opportunity