Was 2016 Really That Bad?

2016 was definitely a year that’s unforgettable. From celebrity deaths to an insane election trail to people over dramatizing a gorilla. Personally, this year has been very eye opening for what people and the world are capable of.

At the beginning of the year there was a sense of panic when Munich was evacuated and terrorist threats going into the new year. Promptly after it was announced the zika virus outbreak and the Orlando and Dallas shooting. There had been many political protests that rang out in cries of the election cycle. An entire war going on overseas and of things that were ignored, the Flint water crisis was also on that list.

But a take away in spite of everything that went on this year, people need to realize that we are one community whose purpose to better ourselves. Unity establishes security. Once everyone can dare and put their faith with others, we can sustain.

Personally this reminds me of an interview with Former Officer Amaryllis Fox in the CIA clandestine operations. The interviewer presented the topic: What can we do to find peace?

This way of thinking goes way more into the everyday actions than it applies when talking about terrorism. Most of the argued conflicts this year have been disputes or controversies, and if such things are policies, they can be resolve only if both parties have the audacity to listen to each other.

2016, was hectic nonetheless. The year only goes as well as you make it. You could choose to view all the doubt and conflicts within the world and complain, or you can look at what’s right in front of you and find a way to keep moving forward.

Here are some things students have said about 2016 overall:

Delaney Gonzalez

Was 2016 really that bad?

Yes, yes of course it was. All caps. 2016 is like when you’re dead first in Mario Kart and then that blue little shell comes up and then hits your car and then you’re in third place. I mean am I right or am I right?

Were there any personal endeavors or strengths?

At some point of 2016 I was like, yeah I can do this but then–

[Stranger shouts explicit phrase]

See like that. But yeah, 2016 was year I realized that life ain’t a bowl of cherries and, we have have to just accept that. It made me realize that like Kylie Jenner, “2016 is the year that made me realize more things.”

How about early in the year?

Earlier in the year I had pretty high self-esteem because 2015 was pretty good. Anything carried from that year went to 2016 but right when we got into 2016 I was just dead and gone.

If there’s one way you could end the year, how would you go about doing so?

Well, I would–I’d probably end it strong, I’d probably hold back some tears, looking back at what 2016 has emotionally done to me. But I feel like I would have to be positive at the end of 2016 into 2017.

Johnnie Gruetzmacher

Was 2016 really that bad?

2016 needless to say was an interesting year. Yeah there were bad things that happened to the world, but there was also much good and even history making events that has happened within the year 2016. For instance, the presidential election had happened within 2016 leaving many people outraged, and others glad making us a torn nation. But there was the good things too. The olympics were held within this year at Rio De Janeiro, which turned out great and even a beloved artist to many known as Adele returned to the stage and went on tour for the first time since 2011. Needless to say 2016 wasn’t a horrible year, sure there were much more events that could’ve been covered to support/not support this statement, but overall 2016 wasn’t a horrific year.

Personally 2016 was okay, it wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t great. Though I wasn’t a fan of the classes I had to deal with first semester of sophomore year, I still had a lot of positives like my family doing well, me being eligible to drive, and me finally looking to get a job, which were all very nice strengths for my year.

How about early in the year?

As for early in the year it wasn’t too great, my best friend wasn’t doing too great, which affected me as I wanted to help, yet there was nothing I could do, but thankfully things turned out great for him, and today he seems pretty happy with life. But there was some good early year things such as my grades being great when finishing off my first year in high school.

If I could somehow change the ending of the year, I would probably saving the lives of many lost celebrities (especially Carrie Fischer) and have some huge event to end the year off on a happy note.

Bryan Christensen

Was 2016 really that bad?

I mean it was pretty bad, there was people losing their minds over a gorilla, there were a lot of overused memes. But I just got a job and it’s like Christmas so, things are looking better; school’s almost over so. I’m looking forward to that. 2016, I think everyone can agree was just a really bad year because there was just a lot of drama and it was just kind a wild year. I don’t know.

I don’t know. Personally for me it was just kinda a boring year. I mean I guess I got a job, which is the first; but that’s pretty much the only outstanding thing I did this year.

How about early in the year?

Yikes. Let’s see if I can remember that far back. Well last school year, towards the end of the school year, I think I got straight A’s last semester, so that’s good.

I think I’ll just do my best to enjoy the Christmas season and relax after school ends. It’s going to be a much needed break and exhausting end to a crazy year.

Alesia Wright

Was 2016 really that bad?

2016 was pretty tragic for me and and a lot of the people around me.

A strength that I have gained throughout this year is no longer letting people take advantage of me and not letting what other people think of me consume me.

How about early in the year?

The beginning of the year was extremely better than the last couple months of 2016. Everything was going right and I was very happy with life in general also obtained a lot of freedom.

I would like to end the year with the people I love doing something we all love. Also leaving behind negative people that brought me down during the year.

Was 2016 Really That Bad?